Zero E Technologies, LLC. is an engineering company focussed on the development of high-performance electric motors (ZEUS
for industrial and commercial uses (10-200 HP for pumps, fans, conveyors, production machines, elevators, etc.), and generators
for use in power generation systems (10-75 kW portable power units PPUs).
Zero E is introducing its motor to several specialty markets in the US, is planning on exporting motors to ASEAN countries
and China, and intends to license its motor for manufacture by major manufacturers and by tier 1 suppliers to the automotive
industry. Motors will be available for evaluation in mid 2014.
Zero E's Electric Motor/Generator.
The ZEUS MotorTM is shaped like a pancake (13" dia.,
5.75" high), weighs just 99 lbs. It is a permanent magnet machine that can be used as a brushless DC (BLDC) motor or as a
permanent magnet AC motor (ACPM). It delivers high continuous power output for industrial applications (10 to 200 HP). It has
a number of notable attributes:
- It has a very high Peak Power/Weight Ratio at 1.72 HP/ lb (2.82 kW/kg), much higher than conventional motors.
- It is very efficient at over 96% which is more efficient than NEMA Premium motors in some power ranges. It is more than
90% efficient over a wide range of speeds and loads (85% of the area under the torque/speed curve)
- It has a flat torque curve over the full speed range up to base speed 4800 RPM, allowing rapid acceleration
when a vehicle is already going fast.
- The motor is of robust design, allowing it to operate for up to 60,000 hours in industrial applications (seven years of 24/7 run time).
- It has many features that result in a low cost of manufacture.
- It has a very small interior cavity, lending itself to use as an explosion proof (XP) motor
- The ZEUS MotorTM could be used as a platform to quickly develop a whole line of motors that operate at different
voltage, speed and power ratings.
The ZEUS MotorTM can be configured to run at low speed/high torque, high speed/low torque, or anything in between. It is
offered with three cooling systems: liquid cooling, conduction cooling, and air cooling.
Zero E offers 48V and 400V controllers so the motors can be used in a range of applications.
Evaluation & Characterization of the ZEUS MotorTM.
Zero E engaged an engineering company with a global practice in evaluating motors and whose clients include auto OEMs
and major motor manufacturers, to evaluate and characterize the motor. The principal investigator concluded about the Zeus
"This is an almost unheard of improvement in the world of electric machines."
"It certainly ranks among the very top tier of of the 700+ motors we have analyzed or designed over the past eight years."
Use the button, The Motor, at the top of this page to access data on the motor.
Commercialization & Zero E's Markets.
Zero E's focus is changing from developing its motor to determining how best to commercialize what it has now developed.
The ZEUS MotorTM has been described as a
"disruptive technology" as it has
the potential to displace large, heavy, conventional induction motors from the industrial and commercial markets and replace them with
small, light-weight, PM motors. The competitive advantages of the ZEUS MotorTM are pronounced. While Zero E is delighted to be in such a position - it is the dream of nearly every
startup company to develop a disruptive technology for a major market - commercializing a disruptive technology has its own special
challenges, not least of which is avoiding an aggressive response from major motor manufacturers that naturally seek to defend
the status quo.